When you’re ready to build a new deck, one of the first things you will have to decide on is type of material to use.
There are many different options on the market, and each has its own set of pros and cons.
Here’s a quick highlight of some of the most popular choices to help you decide which is suitable for your project:
Wood is the traditional choice for decks, and there are many different types available, including cedar, redwood, and pressure-treated lumber.
- Pros: Wood is affordable and easy to work with. It can be stained or painted to match your home’s exterior.
- Cons: Wood requires regular maintenance (including painting or staining) to keep it looking its best. It’s also susceptible to rot, insect damage, and weathering.
This is made from wood fibers and plastic polymers. It’s a popular choice because it requires less maintenance than wood (no painting or staining), and it comes in various colors and styles.
- Pros: Composite decking is durable and easy to care for. It’s also eco-friendly since it’s made from recycled materials.
- Cons: Composite decking can be more expensive than wood. It might also fade over time and can be damaged by high temperatures or direct sunlight.
Plastic decking is from 100% synthetic materials. It’s a low-maintenance option that doesn’t require painting or staining.
- Pros: Plastic decking is inexpensive and low maintenance. It’s also resistant to rot, insect damage, and weathering.
- Cons: Plastic decking can be slippery when wet and can be damaged by high temperatures.
Metal decking is made from aluminum, steel, or other types of metal. It’s a durable option that doesn’t require much maintenance.
- Pros: Metal decking is robust and long-lasting. It’s also fire-resistant and slip-resistant.
- Cons: Metal decking can be expensive. It can also get hot in direct sunlight, making it uncomfortable to walk barefoot.
Concrete decks are made from poured concrete or precast pavers. They’re a popular choice for modern homes because they offer a clean, contemporary look.
- Pros: Concrete decks are very durable and easy to care for. They’re also slip-resistant and fire-resistant.
- Cons: Concrete can be expensive, and it can crack if not properly maintained.
Now that you know more about the different types of decking materials available, you can decide which one is right for your home. If you have any queries, consult with a professional contractor or decking expert before getting started.
Get the Best Decking Services in Midlothian, VA
Childress Construction is the leading decking contractor in Midlothian, VA. We offer our clients various services, including new deck construction, deck repair, and deck replacement.
Our team of experienced professionals can help you choose the suitable material for your project, and we’ll work with you to create a custom design that fits your budget and needs.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation!